Re: "relay denied"

by "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed(at)jaedworks.com>

 Date:  Fri, 4 Aug 2000 20:04:17 -0700
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 3:17 PM -0700 8/4/2000, Rob Atkinson wrote:
>Alot of these Hosters are providing what seem to be, great rates
>for Web space, bandwidth, and other goodies. What most of them
>are doing is eliminating services for SMTP! Various reasons are
>given for doing so but the logic escapes me.
>
>Having a Domain Name--and a Web site using that Domain Name--it
>would make sense (at least to me) to be able to "send" and
>"receive" using that Domain Name. Of what value is it, having to
>use the outgoing server of your ISP and include a Reply-to with
>your Domain Name? Let alone the fact that it doesn't look very
>professional at all.

Um, is there some special reason you can't use your preferred email address
while sending mail through your dialup host's SMTP server?

>To each their own, but if you are looking for a Hosting Provider,
>you will do well to look (or ask) specifically for SMTP services.

It's unlikely you'll find one, unless you're using their connectivity
services as well. Most providers these days won't run an open mail relay,
and since SMTP has no authentication, that's exactly what an SMTP server
that accepts mail from people who aren't connected to that server's local
net is.

--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed(at)jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com